Library Manager, Red Hook Public Library
The Red Hook Public Library’s Board of Trustees is seeking a dynamic leader with a passion for exceptional library service and the ability to lead a talented team of 13 staff members to enhance the library’s role in a continually changing environment. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of sound public library management principles, innovative approaches, and current professional practices. The Manager will need to be an effective communicator among staff, patrons, community groups, and Board members. While not a requirement, it is the Board’s preference that the new Manager be familiar with the Hudson Valley community and knowledge of the operations of a library situated in an exurban environment. The new Manager will be expected to be highly organized, an innovative thinker, and successfully represent the Library in all areas of public relations. It is expected the new Manager will become familiar with and involved with the Mid-Hudson Library System and the library community at large. They will likewise maintain and foster close relations with area schools and other community partners. The RHPL is a municipal library chartered by the Village of Red Hook and serves 11,000 Town of Red Hook residents, all families residing within the Red Hook Central School District area and other regional residents who elect to participate in Library programs.
The salary range for this position is $58,500 – 69,000, commensurate with experience. Vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays included. The Red Hook Public Library is an EOE. This position reports to the Board of Trustees.
The principal duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Manages Library staff comprised of professional, paraprofessional and clerical staff, and maintains a positive labor-management relationship
- Recruits, hires, schedules, and oversees training of all new employees
- Performs annual staff evaluations and sets goals for each employee’s annual review
- Oversees all collection development by choosing and administering the purchase of Library materials and services that best meet the needs of the community
- Supervises all staff engaged in programming activities
- Collects data on usage of Library collections and programs
- Produces or oversees production of monthly newsletter
- Liaises or assigns staff to liaise with all governmental agencies and community groups
- Supervises the maintenance of all Library property and recommends repairs, alterations and new construction projects; acts as “Owner’s Rep” on all construction projects
- Is knowledgeable on the application of computer technology regarding Library systems including online databases, services, etc.
- Possesses strong written and oral communication skills
- Maintains, updates, and ensures adherence to current policies and effectively distributes any changes to staff on a timely basis. Recommends policy reviews as needed
- Posts all Library information publicly as required by law
- Keeps informed of professional development through participation in professional organizations, Mid Hudson Library system trainings, workshops, and keeping up-to-date on professional trends and reading materials
- Provides oversight on all financial matters including supervising the work of the Library’s contracted CPA firm who is responsible for providing all financial reports including monthly and annual Balance Sheets, P & Ls, local, state and national filings, annual AUD, and intermittent audits. In addition, the Manager works closely with the CPA firm to administer the bi-weekly payroll.
- Monitors monthly expenditures and provides sound fiscal management of the Library
- Develops and administers the Library annual budget and long range financial plans
- Actively researches and pursues grant funding opportunities and works with staff to submit applications in a timely fashion
- Represents the Library when seeking financial support from non-governmental sources such as private foundations
- Prepares annual operating and capital budget for approval by the Board of Trustees and manages expenses in relation to established budgetary goals and long-range plan
- Oversees maintenance of the facility and equipment and keeps the Board of Trustees informed of facility conditions and needed repairs
- Is accountable to the Board of Trustees through its designated officers and committee chairs
- Recommends policies and procedures and attends meetings of the Board of Trustees and its committees
- Prepares monthly Director’s Report and monthly Board packages. Posts all materials in a timely fashion in advance of monthly Board of Trustee meetings
- Keeps Board of Trustees apprised of all material issues or developments in a timely manner
- Collaborates and builds relations between the Library and the community
- Serves as a liaison with the Mid-Hudson Library System and various organizations
- Directs a public relations plan to ensure the community is aware of the library’s services, programs and collections
- Oversees the maintenance and posting of timely material to the Library website
- Maintains and posts to all social media accounts in a timely manner
- At least 2+ years of public library (or similar library, nonprofit, or other relevant) administrative experience
- At least 2+ years of significant personnel supervisory and management experience
- Demonstrated budgeting and financial planning experience
- Public Speaking experience
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of 3 professional references (at least one from a supervisor/former supervisor) no later than April 30, 2023 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Board President – Red Hook Public Library. In the subject line please include “Manager Position.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.